Saturday, January 29, 2011

TryCopter

Here's a video of a tricopter I was building:



There were some issues to resolve, but nothing much out of the ordinary. The biggest problem was ensuring the right firmware is loaded on the controller board and that this firmware functions properly. I bought the blue controller board from korea (www.kkmulticopter.com), but in my case the "blue board only" firmware created problems with yaw compensation. Most notably, the correction for pitch was the wrong way around, so if I were to fly this thing for real, it would have flipped over head over heels, so to say.

Other than that, there are loads of upgrades possible for this thing. My first approach was to ensure I can get this thing to fly. Other attempts will focus on more precision of the frame itself, possibly attaching my ArduPilot Mega controller board for GPS hold / altitude hold and those kind of applications and it would be very nice if I could use that board for more precision when flying.

No comments: