Saturday, June 16, 2007

High Precision Event Timer

I've been suffering a bit from a somewhat sluggish machine at times. Sometimes I run VMWare and that is especially annoyingly slow. I already posted the max_cstate thing (powersaving functionality).

Here is another thing I tried. "hpet=disable" on the kernel start line in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

What is HPET?

I am still experimenting with hpet disabled, but so far the Gnome desktop seems more responsive and things slightly faster. I used to get some 'stutters' on the mouse cursor sometimes and more processing times, but things seem to run better actually without the precision timer.

At the same time I noticed that some applications crashed suddenly. Not very frequent, but when load was high.

I'll keep this value for now and see what happens. I can always revert.

No comments: